- making no noise or sound, especially no disturbing sound
- restrained in speech, manner, saying little
- free from disturbance or tumult; tranquil; peaceful, a quiet life
- being at rest
- refraining or free from activity, especially busy activity
- making no disturbance or trouble; not turbulent; peaceable
- free from disturbing thoughts & emotions, mentally peaceful, a quiet conscience
- expressed in an unobtrusive way
- not showy or obtrusive; subdued
- not busy or active
"Finding out all the facts in every fiasco you face is overrated -
consider the discipline of not knowing - it will help you give grace later on."
I wasn't "facing a fiasco" as mentioned in the tweet, but had been through a season in life that was difficult and quite frankly, was draining me in body, soul, and spirit. As I sought solitude God began to speak to me through His Word, drawing me to quietness, to "not knowing everything going on." This "not knowing" brought peace. Here are some passages that really encouraged my heart:
"The LORD will fight for you, and you have only to be silent."
When He gives quietness, who then can make trouble
"Meditate in your heart upon your bed, and be still"
"Be still and know that I am God."
Set a guard, O LORD, over my mouth; Keep watch over the door of my lips
"In quietness and confidence shall be your strength."
"The work of righteousness will be peace, And the effect of righteousness,
quietness and assurance forever."
1 Thessalonians 4:11
that you also aspire to lead a quiet life,
to mind your own business and work with your hands
If you are going through a rough time, step back, get quiet, and be still before the Lord. The wonderful passage in Psalm 46:10 about "being still" means cease striving...take your hands off, relax. I promise you this, you will find out and know - HE IS GOD. He has everything well under control - yes, HE IS GOD.
Get some rest, seek quietness. I know you young moms and busy wives have precious little solitude, but try to carve out some time in the day, even if only a few moments...to just close your eyes and meditate on the goodness of the Lord. Be Still. R-E-S-T in Him.